2. “Everything I Need to Know I Learned From a Little Golden Book” by Diane Muldrow
3. “Empire of the Summer Moon” by S.C. Gwynne
4. “The Fault in Our Stars” by John Green
5. “Little Owl’s Night” by Divya Srinivasan
6. “In the Kingdom of Ice” by Hampton Sides
7. “International Night” by Mark Krurlansky
8. “Good Lord Bird” by James McBride
9. “I Work at a Public Library” by Gina Sheridan
10. “The Mockingbird Next Door” by Marja Mil
06/06/2013 7:00 pm
Eleven-year-old Holly Shepard is hardly one of great magical power. She’s just an ordinary girl living in an even more ordinary American suburb. Her brother Ben excels in the advanced-math class while Holly pulls a C for daydreaming and doodling on her test papers. But her greatest wish—to escape her humdrum existence and experience true adventure—has just been waiting for the right moment to come true.
When the family travels to England for the summer, Holly finds more adventure than even she bargained for—an ancient iron key that unlocks visions, portals, and even the magic long slumbering in Holly herself. With Ben and his friend Everett, Holly travels to Anglielle, a medieval kingdom where magic is outlawed and those with magical powers are hunted by a ruthless king. Holly soon discovers that her magic is the most sought-after of all.
Packed with magic and adventure, The Key and the Flame is only the beginning of a five-part series that chronicles how Holly, Ben, and Everett strive to restore magic to Anglielle and defeat the evil forces that hold the kingdom in its grip.
Claire M. Caterer was born in Detroit, Michigan, and raised in the suburbs of Kansas City. A writer from the age of five, Claire has published fiction in Woman’s World magazine as well as in Ellery Queen and Alfred Hitchcock mystery magazines. She holds a degree in French from the University of Kansas and spent several years working in New York publishing. Today she is back in the Kansas City metro area, where she writes full time and shares her home with her husband, daughter, two dogs, and a host of imaginary friends. The Key & the Flame is her first novel.